Monday, February 28, 2011

They're back!

Yes. I had to catch the bus this morning. It's full. A sure sign that semester has recommenced and we no longer have our space to ourselves...

And speaking of buses, I had to catch one this morning. I was most impressed at the young male student who vacated his seat when other people got on. The girls, of course, didn't. And even more surprised when an adult passenger asked them to move. I rarely ever see that. Usually we stand and let the impolite little blighters have their way. Dunno why we do that.

Monday this week was an absolute joy. The airconditioning was out again. You can almost count on it to break down at least once during summer. Can't say I've notice bad behaviour over winter. Hot and steamy, with a storm in the afternoon. I thought I'd catch a train out to the new station where I live. The service is limited and you can't always get a train to the city without having to change at a different station.

No luck. The storm meant no trains through to the usual terminus and my direct train was cancelled. It's easier for MOTH to collect passengers from a station a 15 minute drive away than the one 10 minutes away. The longer time travelled is the straightest path. Go figure.

Tuesday and the aircon is still nonfunctioning. Luckily the weather is a little cooler after the storm yesterday and people aren't as close to melting. There were still a few pikers who worked from home. I have a laptop so I can do that now, but I still haven't figured out what actual work I can do...

Wednesday. No aircon. Well, till around 4pm. Again the temperature wasn't too bad, so we managed to get through it. Still around 30 deg C at my desk. It's Orientation week at the University, and students abound. I had to run an errand - I shouldn't be surprised but I always am. There are thousands of them *the great unwashed* and they all seem to congregate in the walkways and doorways and other handy exits. Stupid sheep they are.

Thursday is shopping day. MOTH comes to pick me up and while I'm busy telling him a small tale about nothing *i should be on seinfeld* he bursts into a fit of giggles. *yes, MOTH does giggle* Apparently it wasn't so much what I was telling him, but the bloke mowing his lawn while wearing cricket pads.....

Friday, the Elder arrived around lunch time. We spent some small amount of time catching up before she, the Teen and Skywalker headed into the city to see if they could catch some band or another. They came back with two extras. The Teen regaled me with a tale of someone who approached her to chat while she was taking some photos. He opened with a compliment. Thinking he was just a bloke out for a chatup/pickup she was a little rude. Imagine her discomfiture when she found out he was one of the performers from a group she hadn't heard of, and was probably just being friendly!

The two extras crashed the night. Saturday dad collected one extra, the other went back to sleep. Till I told him he had to get up cause we were going out. Cheeky thing! I had been given a gift voucher for my birthday and I wanted to spend it. Not sure on what though. I hunted through the store - EB Games of course. They have very little choice by way of mac *EVERYONE has very little choice!* so I couldn't decide what I wanted. Spend $48 on a PSP game, or add extra money for a computer game??

Everyone was up fairly early on Sunday. The Teen was in a lovely mood - she was having 'friend' trouble. I told her to put her happy face on if she wanted to come to the shops with me. She did her best and out we went.

I eventually settled on Star Craft II. It turned out the PSP game was only $28 but there wasn't anything else to spend the remainder on. I opted to add extra cash and buy the bigger game.

I spent the last little bit of moolah I had on lunch for the kids, and headed home.

Didn't get the game installed until last night. Way too late to actually play it.....

4 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

sounds like a great week (I say sarcastically haha).

we missed summer this year. effectively anyway. we only had two days above 40, so no heatwave like usual, plus we actually had some rain. Feb is supposed to be our hottest month but it just didn't happen...

careful, or I may get caught out...

JoeinVegas said...

a new game!

Gastronomy Gal said...

hmm i am always confused about bus etiquette. How come the adult bus passenger knew they were students~!? I probably look quite like a student but am not, I also have no problem giving up my seat for people who are older, pregnant, disabled etc - but have offered it a couple of times only to be told ' I'm not that old yet' seems like you can't win.

SOL's view said...

I neglected to mention the students were in school uniform.

I notice that if a seat is given up, it's usually by a woman. It's rare to see a seat given up, even rarer to see a male do it.

I kind of figure that if I offer and it's refused, then I've done my bit regardless of their reaction. :)