Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Long Weekends and holidays

Sigh. My interwebs has reached its limit and now it's on a go slow.

Just like I should be. It's an extra long weekend and I'm following it with the rest of the week off! Whoo!

The week started well, Fred got enthusiastic and ripped the bottom out of his bed. You might remember he'd already destroyed the mattress portion. He followed this by destroying the walls of the bed. Strange that he hasn't destroyed the toys in the same manner. Of course, having just said that....

Thursday was the day before the long weekend so I guess you could say it was Friday. I worked from home again. I don't mind doing this, but dragging the laptop home each Friday is getting tedious. I start work around 8am, take the time off to go to the doctor, then work again to 5.30 or 6pm. Makes for a long day.

It was the day I received a text and call from the Teen. She had had a biopsy done on a mole but wasn't expecting the results back for a week. They phoned the following day for a revisit. She has a grade 1 melanoma and has to have it removed immediately. Her doctor has referred her to the Rockhampton hospital. I feel a little helpless because she's so far away and I can't be there with her. Luckily her grandparents are so she's not completely alone. Good luck Teen, I hope they get their act together to get it done quickly for you.

While out, I saw Sunny for a brief time. We haven't managed to catch up for ages. He was chirpy, chattering the whole time, much more like he used to be. He said he was happy, really happy. We wished him happy birthday for the Friday. He was turning 21. My how time flies. He invited us to a small gathering the coming Saturday.

Good Friday dawned foggy. And the dog has destroyed his last remaining mattress. All we have left is a doona cover that used to belong to Subs. We gave him that. I looked at my Easter chocolate and it didn't have a chance.

Saturday night the Elder and I headed out to Sunny's. It was a good hour drive. The music blasted and we followed the directions on the iPhone. At least while they were working. We didn't start the same way as the directions and I couldn't find the blue pin on the map. Then I dropped it, grabbed it with my feet and knees and there were the directions!

Sunny's was a good night. We met new people who were very pleasant and stayed longer than we had intended.

Sunday was off to Bestie's for lunch. She promised boston beans and baked ham. I took dessert - apple crumble. We stayed till after dark and headed home around 7pm.

Monday dawned and I realised that the Elder didn't make it up in time to attend Dawn Service. It would have meant being at the railway station by 3.20am. Only to get there, be compacted closer than sardines in a barrel and miss half the service because you can't see anything. Next year I hope to be able to get in to watch the parade. I watched some ANZAC specials on television but didn't find any broadcast of any of the parades. Guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

So. Holidays for the rest of the week. I look at the list of stuff to do and think that maybe I should go go back to work.....

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

nah, take heart. no matter how bad things are, they are never bad enough to have to go back to work to get away! Believe me!

The rest of our group went to the dawn service but we were way too lazy. Apparently it wasn't that good because it focused on religion instead of what it was supposed to be about.

After Oz destroyed his bed we just gave him a folded old doona. That's his travel bed for the van, and his home one is a square mattress thing. That's it. No more.

JoeinVegas said...

I hadn't thought of using my knees to work the iPhone. Have to try that next time