Monday, January 16, 2012

Plain week is Plain.

Summer finally crept up on us. After some unseasonably temperate weather, summer has kicked in full bore. An expected top today of 38C out our way. That's around 100F for those using Imperial. Humidity is high as well and it almost makes me glad I come to work. Working in an office building with thick walls, airconditioning and a corridor or two seems to take the edge off it a little.

It doesn't take more than a couple of days and the temps fall again. Rain today but the humidity is still higher than it should be. *so says I*

I'm sitting at the bus stop, fanning myself with my bus pass, waiting for my morning bus. It's 06:45 and the humidity is biting. There isn't much if anything like a breeze blowing. I see a 'flock' of very enthusiastic cyclists going up the hill on the other side of the road. They must be fit as I can hear a couple of them talking ... "Day?" "... lost me points!" "... effin cold!"

I'm staring idly out the bus window. I see one of the other buses has advertising on the side to say it's a WiFi bus! WiFi bus? How does this work? When did this happen? Which routes do they run on? So many questions! Because after all, NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Some days are exciting in their own way. It starts normally and suddenly we get to a certain point on the motorway and traffic has slowed to almost a standstill. Things are moving, but slowly. The driver apologises for the delay and thinks it might be a breakdown or accident. Suddenly Base announces that there is a delay on the motorway *no kidding* due to *mumble* an accident? I didn't catch it. Traffic is back to normal flow further down the motorway.

The same morning and we've joined the busway. Traffic has come to a standstill with buses lined up as far as the eye can see. Waiting, waiting and I assume it's a breakdown. Busway lanes are only single so a breakdown stops traffic both ways while the traffic control come to direct things along. Eventually we move again. The 45 minute trip in has takien just over an hour. Not too bad considering.

The same day and we're coming home along the bus way. I'm zoning for something different *kaff kaff* until the ladies in front of me make an excited little noise and look out the window. I'm just in time to see that out on the motorway a white van is on its side with the windscreen smashed. There are some emergency vehicles there as well but most of the action has already taken place I think.

We're on the home stretch now and the bus has taken off from the stop previous to mine. Carefully over the bridge because it's on a slight curve which can cut room for the bus a bit short. The road straightens and curves to the left. We start the curve and the driver slams on the brakes. A car is overtaking another bus on the inside curve and it seems to have gone over the centre line in the process. Ye gods there are some IDIOTS on the road these days!

The Teen is still here and the Mexican is still in town. He goes home soon. She heads over to his place of temporary residence and is gone for two nights. MOTH is relishing the quiet. I was expecting her home the second night and had plenty of chicken thigh cutlets ready to be marinated and cooked. Since she didn't come home, MOTH and I had plenty of chicken to feast on. I served them with salad and there wasn't much left over!

There seems to be heaps of movies coming out or are out this month that I want to see. I decided on Sherlock Holmes. Teen met me at the cinema on the way home from Mexican's place and we settled down to watch. We decided that the two of us hadn't been to a movie together before. Not just by ourselves anyway. Possibly. I've seen the first Sherlock Holmes and let me tell you number two is far wittier. Excellent performances all round and plenty of one liners. I giggled most of the way through it. Teen had seen it before so she had a nap.

I put the ticket stub in my paper journal this morning. It's a slow process filling that book I tell you!

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Not the Comfy Chair! :-)

Plenty of accidents around. Ever wonder why it's the ones we actually see, that never make the news?? Fluffy saw a train/pedestrian fatality that held up traffic for ages once, not a peep on the news...

*dosol*... feeling rather dosol this time of day...

JoeinVegas said...

Still better riding on the bus looking at it all than being the driver.