Monday, June 25, 2012

Winter! You have arrived!

Winter seems to have arrived. I can tell. 'Tis the season of the Lukewarm Shower. Yes, that's what I said. By law, it seems, our State Leaders have decided that we are too sheep-like to be able to determine how hot is too hot. It's law to have a temperature regulator attached to your plumbing. Y'know, just so your water doesn't get above a certain temperature and you don't scald your little self. Or the little selfs you might have cloned and have running about the place. I mean, geez, surely you can keep your little selfs away from the bath/shower taps?

I have no idea if that happens to all or is merely a quirk of my hot water system. It seems to be affected by the temperature outside. In winter, hot water in my shower is a couple of degrees above body temperature. The only time I get hot water for a shower is ... SUMMER. Yes, right when I need it. Unless I choose to bathe in the kitchen sink. THAT tap gets hot enough to scald.

Wait ... haven't I mentioned this before??

I decided to go via the motorway to work today. Traffic was better than I expected. It was still down to a crawl in the usual spots but not as bad as it could have been. I seem to have missed the delay as I go past a five vehicle end to ender. They are all off the road and traffic is moving slowly but smoothly. Good timing!

The weekend rolls around again and I'm looking at the floor. Again. I really should do something about that. I have visitors coming during the week but I walk on by. Again.

I have other things to think about. Like taking up the hem of MOTH's jeans. Why do I hate doing that so much? But he's dressed and ready to go out so I don't bother him with it. We head out to the shops and join up with the oldies at the corner table. John has one of this sons with him. I'm sure we've not met before but he has one of those faces that look familiar. We discuss plans for our group outing next weekend. We've decided on a venue but some of them aren't sure where to go.

MOTH is up and dressed and out again. Ah well, maybe those jeans will have to wait.

I suppose I should make the cheesecake. Thank you Sparklingmerlot, he LOVES that recipe. Wait. First I have to let the cream cheese soften. I wonder if it will set in time? Ah well. If it doesn't it just gets to wait another night and we don't have it with the lamb shanks tonight. Off to play with Facebook while I wait. I like making cheesecake. I've finally found something I like using the food processor for. Crushing the bikkie mix is great! And so fast too.

Pop the cheese into the mixer and switch it on. WHOA! The bowl and the bit it sits on to make it spin jump off the base. I KNEW I didn't like this mixer for a reason. It looks kinda flashy, costs heaps considering where it's made and purchased. And could certainly function a whole lot better. There is no dial to tell you what speed you're at, only minimum and maximum. And a turbo button. And I had this set on minimum! It spins way too fast, but settles down a little once the cheese becomes creamy. Wish I could afford one of those Kitchen Aids! Anyway, cheesecake finished. I've added extra juice and a tiny dash of pulp instead of rind. I take to the tester. He doesn't want to wait for it to set!

A voice calls from the kitchen. I look and he's got the jeans on. I need to pin it. I do both legs. But you only need one pin he says. I tell him I do both legs cause you just never know if one of the legs is slightly longer than the other. I measure and pin the rest of the way around. One of the measurements comes out at 6.5 cm from the existing hem. The other has been pinned at ... 9.5cm. What? I fold the jeans and note that the legs seem to be the same length, and pin them both at 6.5cm. MOTH then begins to tell me a huge story about how he would have put the pin in and measured them down the outside leg to make sure they are the same and ..... so on. Sheesh. Maybe I should have left him to do it himself?

Anyway, they are now pinned and I just have to get myself motivated to hem them before Wednesday...

PS. The cheesecake is set and extra tangy. I'm not permitted to bring any to work. Success!


5 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

so you're not allowed to bring any to work? how does that work? or do you get yours tonight? better make sure that he hasn't eaten any then!

SOL's view said...

Beg pardon. I'm not allowed to bring any to work to share! :)

Colleen Barnett said...

well, that's okay too. I wouldn't share either!

Chris H said...

How weird about the jeans measuring different for each leg.
I still have not made that cheesecake .... Too scared to!

sparklingmerlot said...

So glad the cheesecake is a success!! I love that everyone adds their own little tweak to the recipe.

Hemming jeans? Ummmm ... NO!