Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Week That Went Too Fast

I can't decide if it were a fast week, or a slow one actually.

I'm stopped at the traffic lights on my way to work. There has been a red mazda in front of me that doesn't seem to be able to travel in a straight line. It's now in the lane beside me as we wait for the lights to change. A movement at my peripheral vision makes me look. The red car is stopped between two vehicles ... and rolling backward and forward between them. What. An. Idiot. Glad they aren't in my lane!

MOTH has managed to get in and shift some stuff around in the garage to make room for Elder and Burrich. And all their junk. He's even put out a couple of markers so they don't go beyond that and block the clothes line.

So. Everything looks settled. Jerome can sense the tension. He's wandering around lost and a little cuddly.

Looks like rain today. They are scheduled to arrive but we aren't sure when.

There goes the neighbourhood! They are on their way and I get a text to say they were stopped at the driver reviver station at Granite Creek. They've even managed to score a box of biscuits as the bloke serving the coffee said they expire in a month and they need to get rid of them. Nice one!

MOTH and I are going out to dinner with the Baby Sitters Club. Most of them anyway - the evening has promise as Wombat will not be there. Elder and her crew are welcome to join if they arrive in time. We've decided on Sizzler. It's been a while since I have been there.

Elder and her crew have arrived. All is noise of course and the first things unloaded are Sheldon and Penny. I have relegated them to the bathroom for the time being. They are flea treated and watered and there they shall stay until tomorrow I think. When we are home to supervise the introductions.

John and his daughter collect us. We've decided to use the train as the restaurant is part of the shopping village and the station is right underneath. Much easier than driving and trying to catch a parking space. I've forgotten to warn them - not experienced public transport users - to carry change. Uh oh. But I think we can eftpos the fare. It turns out we can't but the ticket office is open.

The train is at the platform and I am fielding questions from K about how I know it's the right one. We board and wait, John and K in one set of 4 seats, MOTH and I across the aisle in the other. From there, it's one long laugh fest until we reach our station. K stops for a ciggie but it turns out the rest of the party have beaten us!

The kids don't end up joining us - they've flaked and are running on empty.

The night is a blast. We've arrived early, around 5pm and the place is almost empty. By the time we leave an hour and a half later, it is packed. I'm glad we decided on an early dinner! The ticket booth at the destination station is not open and we have to use the TVM (ticket vending machine). A lass is in front of us, we have 15 minutes to get the tickets and down on to the platform. She is so organised! She presses the buttons, digs around in her back for her gocard, fiddles about some more and I can see the clock ticking away. By the time she's finished and we make it down the platform we have about 8 minutes to wait. Needn't have worried so much after all.

We must do it again. Different restaurant next time? Who knows. I did find out that I let the cat out of the bag that morning. Apparently K and I are in charge of planning a bbq when Stan returns from the UK. I didn't know it was a secret ...

Not much happening Sunday. Looking around my messy house. Love 'em to bits but missing when it was just me. And MOTH. And Jerome. Already...

I think the cats have reached an uneasy truce. That is still yet to be determined.

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

I hope things work out. Did you lay ground rules about cleaning up after the animals and themselves or it's OUT? I hope they respect you enough to help out. I really, really do.

JoeinVegas said...

Oh - a full house. Hope you can get along for how long?