Monday, October 15, 2012

Can I have another piece of chocolate cake?

Not much on the agenda this week. Work has been progressing as usual. Home life is still the same.

Sheldon, Penny and Jerome are still sorting out their borders. It gets exciting at times.

A strange cat is in our entertainment area this morning. Jerome has spotted it and begins to yodel his challenge. I take him away from the window, but soon he's back, calling again. The strange cat is still there. Sheldon is very interested, but silent. Penny is hiding and acts like she doesn't know what's going on but that it can't be good. I open the door, the stray retreats. But not too far. I step out, making sure the other cats haven't followed. The stray retreats around the corner and I hear it jump the gate.

I'm back indoors and things have settled a little. But not as much as I thought. Jerome and Sheldon are still on edge. Penny does something wrong and Jerome begins to reprimand her. Even Sheldon looks like he wants a go. I break it up but it still takes a while for things to settle.

Jerome and Penny are still on a tentative truce. Sometimes I wonder if she was taken from her litter mates before she learned the social niceties. She begins to play, then runs away. Of course, Jerome chases and it ends in a fight. He sniffs and she hisses. That can earn her a cuff. She gives him the long stare and he tackles her for that. Sometimes I wonder if they will ever sort themselves out. Sheldon, of course, is back to his old habits of taunting, baiting and trying to rule the roost. I'm not sure that Jerome is going to let him have his way this time.

The house hunting has ceased until they find work. I have gently expressed an opinion that being unemployed and trying to find a house will be less of a hassle than trying to find a house to accommodate two indoor cats and two outdoor dogs. Maybe one dog or one cat, or maybe just the cats. But not all. This upsets Elder immensely as something she doesn't want to deal with. I don't want to begin a spiral cycle so I don't push the issue. We'll burn that bridge when it comes time to cross it.

A friend invites me to participate in a gaming tournament he is holding on the weekend. I love gaming but am totally terrible at it. This gaming is not LAN based but board, cards and die. Some games use cards and die only to follow a game plot, others use miniatures. I decline to play but I would love to come for a look. The Elder and Burrich are going away for the weekend so I have to rely on MOTH to drive. Or do it myself. I guess I could gird my loins so to speak but I don't like walking into those places alone. Neither of us know where it is. I google map it and think I've found it. MOTH has gone out for the morning to join the Baby Sitter's Club. He's not home until nearly lunch time.

So, no one is home this morning. I kick off the kinect on the XBox and have a go at some of the Star Wars games. Whew! It takes some work! I'm getting a bit puffed. Jerome rescues me briefly by sitting in the 'play' area and meowing at me earnestly. I think he wants attention. It's good to take a break and I'm back into it again briefly. By mid afternoon I'm beginning to rediscover muscles I had forgotten I had.

I'm tired and not willing to drive into a heavy traffic area so I decide to leave the visit to the tournament. I tell my friend I've taken headache meds and that I won't be there. Shame it was this weekend! Later that afternoon MOTH apologises for not taking me. Never mind.

Sunday lunch time we head to a friend's place for what she terms a Get Together. They have relatives visiting, it's her partner's birthday and a house warming drinks and nibblies all wrapped up in one.
The company is good and I don't want to leave. The Elder and Burrich have returned from their trip away and meat is out for dinner. If there was no foodage planned I think we would have stayed longer.

Home and cook dinner. And I can't eat it all; I've managed half a burger.

Off to bed early - I'm still exhausted and it's only 8.30pm! Either I'm coming down with something or those three ciders I've had this afternoon have worked *and tasted!* better than warm milk...

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

you should have done what I did on the weekend - just shoved the meat back in the fridge for tomorrow night, and let them fend for themselves :-)