Monday, October 29, 2012

Quiet in here

It is too. I've got the music turned down and no one else is around. Bliss.

Again, it's been a slow old week.

Jerome has been getting me up early again. I don't know what's with that cat. I've made sure he has food out so he can get his own breakfast, but noooo, he has to wake us up to tell us he can't be bothered shaking the kibble out of the dispenser into the tray.

I shake some out and climb back into bed. About fifteen minutes later he's back again. I get up and head down to the kitchen to feed them all. The others have no choice but to wait - they are shut at the other end of the house. I'm not game enough to ignore Jerome entirely - for all I know he might be telling me he needs to use the tray...

So I'm up early and in a spur of the moment decision I decide to ride the bus to work. It's been ages since I've done that, and sad to say, I've missed it. The trip in is fine and I debate whether I have time to top up my go card between buses. I need to do it, but if I miss the timings I have a long twenty minute wait till the next one. Whoo! Nice and quick and I'm at the next stop in time for the desired changeover.

On the way home that day, I've decided to catch the bus to the station. Some of the turns on the route are very tight and tricky. On one particular stretch the road is only wide enough for cars parked on either side and the bus through the middle. Someone seems to have just parked and has the car door open. The bus stops and I think this is what he's waiting for. It begins to creep around the corner and I can see out the window. There is a flock of galahs on the road and the footpath. They straggle onto the path as the bus comes round and he picks up speed as he heads down the street. Guess it was the birds after all. Which is good. I've seen that movie. Gotta keep on the good side of the birds.

At a different corner, a T junction, a woman on the terminating road wants to turn across traffic. The bus also does, down the terminating street. He has to take it veeeerrryyyy slowly as the woman is right on the midline and right at the stop line. She ends up reversing and we get past.

I'm tired but the Elder wants to see a friend's band play at a local festival, the Jacaranda Festival. She asks if I want to go. I'll go with you tomorrow I tell her. They are playing their sets both nights. Okay she says. Burrich begs off later saying he feels unwell. She's a little despondent so I tell her I'll go with her tonight.

She isn't quite sure where to go but we guess and as we turn under the bridge we see that she's right. We're facing the grounds. I can see the rides and a small side show alley. Whoo! There is supposed to be fireworks tonight too. There is still daylight and as we wander we spot the baby animal farms. Squeee! We spend some time looking at them and suddenly we spot a couple of piglets. Tiny ones! We want to get a photo but the kid sitting with them on her lap doesn't seem inclined to let them go or to let anyone else pet them either. Eventually she lets them go and they run about the enclosure. They are so little! The woman picks one of them up so Elder can snap a pic. We move off to wait for the fireworks and watch feral children misbehaving.

The fireworks have barely started but we are near the marquee so see Goodnight Midnight setting up. We go and take seats. It's a relatively short set but I enjoy it. Elder stops to chat to band members afterward and we promise to be there the next night.

I decide that I need to get supermarket stuff. Some extra meat for the week, and stock up on lollies for Halloween. Hopefully for the little buggers who won't come trick or treating. Yeah! I don't do Halloween myself, and it's been some time since there have been kids in the neighbourhood. But you never know and I like to keep some on hand for that "just in case" moment. I'm always happy when none come because then I get to eat the leftovers.

I go with MOTH and we sit with John. Wombat joins us after a while. He's really annoying me today. He's cheerful, relatively speaking, but still annoying. An older lady who knows the group stops by to say hello. She's lovely. I spot another husband and wife pairing I've seen there before. He is vision impaired and has on occasion sat with us. She brings him over and I hear her tell him as she sits him in the corner, that she will leave him there to be babysat while she did her errands. I lean over to MOTH. See? I told you it was the Babysitter's Club. He laughs.

It's raining this afternoon. In fact, it begins to storm. Uh oh. Eventually it seems the second gig is rained out. Glad I went when I had the chance then.

Sunday is a lazy day. I'm not doing much and am so very, very sleepy. I've been that way a lot really. I sit on the bed. The covers look inviting. I crawl under an next thing I know, MOTH is waking me as he's ready to go up the street. The rest of the day progresses rather slowly. I don't know what I want to do and I'm too tired to make much of an effort. The Elder washes her car. Burrich helps MOTH in the yard. I read a bit and nap. Jerome joins me. Nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I get a second wind when I prep dinner. It's a dish I've done several times and always goes down well. Sure enough, at the end of the dish when the bowls are empty, I'm asked if there is any more. Nope, sorry, not this time kids! Maybe next time I'll have to use something like TEN chicken thighs instead of eight. Sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or... you could just push out the excess baggage thats eating the extra chicken... I hope they're still house and job hunting...

Colleen Barnett said...

Why did he wake you to tell you he's going to the shops? Couldn't he have left you there? lol.

Try putting the litter tray in the area Jerome is in at night, and his food for early morning. Then he won't have to wake you :-)

Chris H said...

Ditto what Froggy said about Jerome.
Halloween... drives me nuts!
I refuse to have a bar of it.
It is an American tradition...fair enough... it is NOT an Kiwi tradition.
We teach our kids to never take lollies/food from strangers, not to wander the streets... and HALLOWEEN makes it OK?
I'm on old grump. I do not even give lollies out to all the kids who DO end up knocking on my door.
I like your idea of eating the lollies myself. lol

JoeinVegas said...

I always buy lots of candy for the same reason - we are in an area with no sidewalks or streetlights, so get few kids by. I've learned to purchase the candy I like just in case there is any left over.
So how long will your house guests be staying? We just took some of ours to the airport, still have a bunch that will be leaving Saturday.