Monday, October 08, 2012

Cooler today

The temperature is cooler today, and the sky overcast. The weatherman assures us there is a possibility of showers as well. Guess where my jumper is ... not in the same place I am, that's for sure.

It's the last week of the school holidays and the drive to work has been marvellous. Not as much traffic to contend with. No school zones in effect. I'm all for school speed zones, but not peak hour along a busy stretch of road. Who the heck would build a school ground on the busiest section of the road anyway? Why can't it be set further back so the kids aren't near traffic? Dumb idea. And there are about four of them on the same side of the bridge, then another on the other side.

So I'm guessing no more early finishes as I'm not going to be at work quite as early in the mornings. Darn.

Saturday rolls around and I realise it has been two weeks already since The Elder and Burrich moved in. I have been getting plenty of advice regarding how to handle them living there and setting rules and giving chores *pokes self in eyes* but I think that since they are my *temporary* boarders I have a handle on that anyway.

So, chores have been allocated. Well, one each. I'm not pushing myself any further than that since I'll only hold myself to one. We'll see how it goes. Already it's been a help to me. I'm pretty relaxed so I only have one hard and fast, non-negotiable house rule. Make that two. The other applies to smokers.

I've been busy tonight. I've tidied the rumpus room as best I can, shifted the kid's stuff out to the table with some of their other stuff. I've swept the carpet and stacked the dishwasher. Having to do these things annoys me *a lot* but not as much as having to put sheets on the bed when I am tired and ready for sleep.

No one is up yet so I finish the clean up. Put shoes away, pick up the cat's toys, do a couple loads of laundry, wipe kitchen benches, put oven shelves back. Small things but already the place looks better.

Visited with the Baby Sitter's Club in the morning. I don't mind sitting and talking to them but somehow it always makes me feel like I've wasted half my weekend. Much the same as having to work on Saturday morning used to. Saturday is, after all, my fave day of the weekend. Sunday is a write off cause it's just waaaay too close to Monday.

MOTH hasn't been feeling well; he suggested to Wombat it was his fault. Wombat is clogged up and gargly too. MOTH has a script for antibiotics left from the last time he had this URTI, so has decided to get it filled. We'll see if it helps.

Sunday and so many options! Play Starcraft! Play WoW. Play Diablo III. Figure out how to use this X-Box that's been attached to my television. I have permission and decide to raid the kid's stash of games and have a look at the box. It's going to take some getting used to as the controls are so very different from those of the PS3.

MOTH staggers out of bed and the kids head to the city. I don't last long at the box as the controls aren't helpful. MOTH has decided to put music on. It's loud and I can't hear the instructions on the games while it's going. I've got a headache so I pack it all away.

The weather is trying to be summer. The temperature peaks somewhere in the mid 30s, but at least it's not humid. Not yet. I can tolerate some heat, but not humidity! I'm tempted but not yet game enough to kick off the airconditioning. I wonder how MOTH is faring. At least I'm not clogged up with an infection.

Dinner is simple fare tonight. Bangers and mash. With brown onion gravy. I have three thin sausages cooked on the bbq and mash on my plate. Drizzled with gravy and it looks delicious. Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...


Glad it's all working out. For now :-)

Hopefully something will come up for them soon.

xx

JoeinVegas said...

Plain sausages? Stores here are into 'healthy' styles - at Costco last week there were over a dozen sausages, we ended up with chicken sausages with mozzarella, artichokes and something else. They are tasty, but not really sausages just because they look like them.