Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm disappearing out my own existence!

I liked that Yellow Submarine movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Just for something different.

Quite a bit has been on the agenda this week.

I stayed home a couple of days early in the week. Monitoring the Elder. Apart from one minor brain explosion, she went really well. *is proud*

Sometime on the Sunday I believe, she was working on her jobsearch stuffs, and just for something to do, applied for a position in a different town. Nothing would come of this one but what the heck.

Monday we went shopping because there was something burning a hole in her wallet and there is nothing like a dash of retail therapy the help one along. Her phone rings in the middle of Sanity and she ducks out to answer it. The music in that shop is a little loud, but hey, it's Michael Jackson so who cares.

She came back and said, You know that job? They've just offered me an interview. Ulp! So, the logistical nightmare - how do we deliver her on time to get to the interview? We abandoned the therapy and dashed home. And I mentioned to MOTH, why don't you drive her and you can visit your mother while you are there.

He didn't bat an eyelid. Some quick calls were made and they were frantically packing. The Elder was explaining the phone call. The caller found out where she lived, and weren't keen on giving her an interview time after all. Because she lived so far away, and it was an awful long way to come just for an interview. *helloo! in this economic climate, any interview slot is a good one! duh!* They gave her a time though, and asked her to call if she couldn't make it. Hence the fuss and rush to get there.

So Tuesday morning, somewhere about mid morning they left. Return due for Thursday.

The days they were away were deathly quiet. Only the Teen and I existed in our own little universe. And like Gods, we got to spend our time our way, and eat what we wanted when we wanted. The Teen had been off sick for the first couple of days back to school, so I had to return to work on Wednesday and leave her at home. She wasn't phased. I didn't for one second think she would be. *smiles* But we did manage to finish off the prawns that were taking up space in the freezer. She and I are the only ones who eat them. They were an impulse buy at $6 a kilo at the end of the shopping night in the supermarket.

On Wednesday night, I got a call. Guess what! What? I've got the job! Really? No wai! Yes wai. And guess what? What? I start on Tuesday! Holy hell! She had the interview Wednesday morning. Wednesday afternoon they asked her to come back and meet the store manager. That night they told her she had a start. So much for not wanting to offer her an interview time.

So what now? That gave her two days to organise accommodation. Her bestie friend has a family and no room. Her grandparents are overcrowded so we didn't even go there. Her aunty has no room either. Mouse and Grandma thought it darned silly to come up for a job without accommodation.

But why would you organise accommodation just to attend a job interview? When there is no guarantee you'll get the job, and the Government will penalise you most severely if you move from your current location to a place that offers less job opportunites. Who expected she would get a job from somewhere she applied for just as a spur of the moment thing to add a name to her list?

But congratulations Elder! I'm hoping you will really enjoy your work.

So it was back home Thursday and try to organise things for a Sunday departure. Luckily a male friend who lives by himself was willing to put her up for a while. That was a relief. And a person I never even thought of asking.

Friday I was at work, and she bummed about a bit. I don't remember what she did, but there was a LITTLE bit of packing in there.

Saturday I had plans to catch a movie. I had asked the Elder to go with me. No point asking the Teen. She's never home. So we caught the bus to the cinema. It's not the closest, but it is the cheapest. And it's IMAX so we timed our session to catch the movie on the 25 metre screen. We found seats - up the back of course - and watched people stream in. We had thought that the 09:30 screening on a Saturday wouldn't be that busy. We were wrong. While we waited for the movie, the Elder noticed someone who looked familiar. It was my best friend and her family! I haven't seen them for some months. We just don't seem to be able to coordinate ourself. She spotted us and we waved at each other.

The movie was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I knew the plot. I knew it was coming. And still I cried. I hate to see a grown man cry and I started to lose it a bit then. I lost it properly when he died. And I knew it was coming....

After the movie, my friend waited for me and we all decided to go for coffee. As we came down the stairs to exit the cinema, they announced that all the Harry Potter screenings for the remainder of that day were sold out! Soooo glad we chose the early session!

I hadn't been to this coffee house before. It was expensive, but it was really nice. The coffee cups are huge. You get the cup, a jug of coffee and a jug of hot water. I guess a jug of milk too, but the woman had ordered a long black. And you mix it the way you want. I had a spider, so I got a tall glass of icecream and the softdrink in a jug. We also had a plate of tiny gourmet cookies with a creamy chocolate dipping sauce. I think I'd go there again.

And a quick trip into the city to the movies turned into a full scale almost all day outing.

Home again and the Elder started doing some serious packing. Not serious enough though because she was still packing late into the night. I did give her some help, but not that much. I wasn't sure what she was going to be taking. Sunday morning, at 03:00 she and MOTH were up. MOTH never went to bed. She was still packing last minute stuff, and MOTH was loading the car. She managed to get away at 04:00.

So we are back to three in the house. It's so very, very quiet.

I think I'm disappearing out my own existence...

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

You rotten sod for seeing Harry before me! I go Wednesday night! Can't wait!

xxx


*hooper*

eh, good name for a dog I think...