Monday, May 23, 2011

The resumption of normal

I've been out of the house the last week. MOTH has treated conference week as one big holiday. As usual. Huh. Still a regular work week for some. *laughs*

Sunday always seems to be super busy. If I can get through Sunday then I can make the rest of the week. The day starts for me around 07:45 as I rush down to begin set up. People arrive to register before 08:30 when it opens and I'm not ready yet! Everyone arrives at once but Admin2 is there to help check off names. There isn't a laptop for the presentations. I had thought they would have one already, but apparently not. That's sorted and the day is underway.

Welcome reception that night. Drinks at the booth - a keg of Stone and Wood. Everyone circulates and it's a chance to catch up with people you only ever see once a year.

Monday the conference opens proper, and I make sure I catch Bennett Arron for the opening Keynote. He's very funny although the circumstances he's talking about were not. Bennett had his identity stolen back before it became a fashionable way to make money. I had earmarked a session to see in the afternoon as well, but I was busy working and missed that one.

Yes, we continue to do our normal jobs while the conference goes on around us.

Monday night sees Sponsor cocktail night. Some sponsors see premixed cocktail machines set up at their booths. We have beer at the booth again, along with glasses that people are allowed to keep. Food and drink circulates, but waitstaff seem to be few and far between tonight. You literally have to jump out and bag one if you want something to eat. It's usually the night the sponsors take their guests to dinner and they clear the place early; an Italian buffet for the ones left behind this year. Which seems to be almost everyone. I'm sorely disappointed with the buffet - it's not my fave cuisine and where is the lasagne???

Tuesday there was an invitation breakfast. I missed it. I avoided the booth and stayed in the workroom. Working. All day.

There's nothing on the program I want to see. The Gala dinner and awards is on tonight. The Elder and MOTH are coming with me this time. I've ordered special meals. The dinner is alternate drop and the choice is lamb or salmon. Again.

The show begins after introductions and a welcome speech hosted by Corinne Grant. The entertainment kicks off with Soul Mystique. The show is short but spectacular. More speeches and boring award presentations and they begin serving dinner. We wait. And we wait. Eventually I have to chase up one of the waitstaff who brings it to us. That's ok though, we have chicken and it's well worth the wait. Chicken breast, skin on with some sort of creamy sauces and some large slices of potato. It's tender, juicy and flavoursome.

Bennett does a short comedy segment and then more awards. Oh no! They've forgotten to ACTUALLY GET AWARDS for the recipients. Corinne makes do with items stolen from the hotel. *this gets a good laugh* More entertainment, this time from Tripod.

The Elder is deliriously happy. She sings along to most of the songs, and at the end as they lead in to do a particular number and hint for requests, she shouts SWEET CAROLINE! They agree to do it. To the uninitiated, it looks like they've taken the request but regular followers will know that she's merely asked for the song already on their set list.

The night ends well; the Elder has her menu signed by Corinne. She notices Tripod packing up and heads over to chat. They thank for for the lead in, chat for a while, sign her menu and give her the set list. They say they will likely be up in the bar later.

It's nearly 23:00 and MOTH calls it quits for the night. We head to the bar and end up joining Zman and some others who are sitting with Corinne. We're on the outer of the group so don't really end up chatting. I get to taste a glass of Moet. Not spectacular let me tell you....

Tired on Wednesday and not feeling my usual chirpy self. For lunch I ate a very small serve of calamari salad, rice and Thai chicken curry. I skipped dessert and MOTH was gobsmacked. It was wind down and relax night with a movie and social stuff. The movie was The Social Network. I bugged out not long after it started and was in bed by 21:00.

Thursday and everything to do with the exhibition is gone. Completely. Today and tomorrow are tutorial days. Regular work days for me; I'm not doing any of the tutes. I am attending the Executive Program this morning. And a nice lunch afterward. MOTH stays in the room. It's raining and there is nothing to do at the venue anyway. That night, MOTH and I go out for KFC for dinner and veg out in front of the tv.

Friday is the same and that evening we head home. It will be good to get home. I'm disappointed though. The week is gone and there is no thank you and appreciate your effort gift this year. Sometimes it's a bottle of wine but the last couple of times have been movie vouchers. This year, nothing.

It is good to get home. And do the washing. And catch up with housework. And all is back to normal...

4 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

What? No lasagna? What kind of Italian food is that??

Wow, fancy forgetting to actually get awards. Who organised that bit? how embarrassment! Hahahahaha!

*ingsbot* some ingsbot forgot the most important part of the evening! Baaahahahah!

JoeinVegas said...

Still sounds like busy week

Butterfly Kissez said...

Sounds like you did a great job and yes how disappointing not to be acknowledged in some way! Not even any wine or choclates? How rude!

sparklingmerlot said...

Love the descriptions of the conference but how long before the powers that be realise that small gestures of appreciation go a loooooong way to ensuring future hard work?