Tuesday, November 08, 2011

I'm late! To update my blog!

I usually update on a Monday, but this one has been a little busy!

------------------

A sad day. A very sad day. There is a construction site across from us. One of the workers was fatally injured. I heard nothing and only found out that something was amiss when one of the GTs mentioned that the Ambulance and Fire Brigade were in attendance. I hoped the man would make it, but it was not to be.

The television has only just begun running advertisements for Safety Week. I cannot imagine kissing MOTH goodbye for an ordinary work day then not having him return. I cannot.

------------------

First on the bus this morning! Yay. One of the regular routes is running a more frequent service. I usually choose not to ride this one - waaaaay too many school kids. But I bite the bullet and jump on. Hardly any kids on this route today.

I sit on the left side of the bus. The next series of passengers also sit on the same side of the bus. How interesting would the bus ride be if everyone sat on the same side? Would we tip over, or at the very least, lean heavily to that side? Hmmmm. These things keep me occupied until others get on and the load evens out.

------------------

I'm taking my regular route home and day dreaming as I walk down the stairs to the railway platform. A face drifts past in the crowd and I think he looks familiar, but no, it couldn't be.

Sol! he says and Yes! It IS him! Richard, from my old town; someone I haven't seen for some considerable years. He still lives there and the chances of a random meeting on a train platform are slim. My train isn't due for another ten to twelve minutes so we chat while I wait.

It was really really good to see him.

-------------------

The Elder and the Teen return home; Elder to collect some belongings, the Teen for a visit. Elder has brought her latest with her, a shy quiet young fellow I'll name Burrich. He's younger than she *why do my kids always pick younger ones???* but I guess that's alright. He has a job, is quiet and polite and doesn't seem to spend his time with cars, booze and parties like a lot of them. Teen really likes him too so I guess he can't be bad.

They arrive fairly late Friday night and Elder and Burrich plan to leave early Monday morning.

------------------

I am in a different capital city for work. Boring, boring stuff being a Booth Bunny at a conference. I did get to spend one day with the girls before I had to leave though.

Taxi to the airport and we went the toll way. >$100 later! Glad work has provided cab vouchers! Check in at the airport has changed somewhat and I am a little stressed. I've not flown without another workmate before and it was several years ago so I'm feeling a little lost. The flight wasn't bad in spite of a heap of kids on the plane and I spend the flight reading.

Check into the hotel and the buggers have swiped my credit card for $100. So. Card now overdrawn and any money I had planned to spend for meals etc the conference didn't provide now also gone. Stupid, stupid, stupid hotel policy. How would it work if you went into a department store and they swiped $100 on a card 'in case' you purchased something? It just wouldn't go over so why do we let Hotels get away with it??

The GT I am here with and I decide to ride the tram into town. Fun trying to get the ticket on the tram. I'm surprised how dirty and vandalised it is. I can barely bring myself to sit on the seat *i have this thing about upholstery* but the ride is interesting. We walk the streets for a little while before returning to the hotel. The return tram is newer, in much better condition.

-------------------

Dinner in the city, having been joined by another workmate. We choose Pellegrini's. Atmosphere galore! Plain, hearty Italian fare. But the place is full and we are shown to a communal table in the kitchen. Brilliant! We are served what seems to be a watermelon granita for drinks with dinner and I eat while I watch the woman prepare meals. She is very fast. I have a photo but no way to upload it at present. I'll add it later.

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

did you go to management and demand they unswipe your meal money?? I would. for sure...

SOL's view said...

I did ask reception if it had to be $100 and she said 'company policy'. Stupid frikkin policy if you ask me.

Royal Pines doesn't swipe that much. And when they did swipe a lot (2005) it was $50 max.

Anonymous said...

Lots of hotels in the USA do that card swipe thing too. I hate it, I never order room service, never charge anything to me room - and I always have a tight budget.