Friday, January 04, 2013

2013! Happy New Year!

It feels like ages since I've been here, and I had to read my last post *can i hear dogs howling??* so I could remember what I typed about.

Here is my coffee machine...
It makes pretty good coffee too considering it's a pod machine.

Christmas Day dawns and it's hot. Hot, hot, hot. Well, humid anyway. One day I swear I am going to spend Christmas in the snow. Just once. Sometime. Maybe. The lotto gods willing. Breakfast comes first and then Santa hands out the presents. I think I manage to do alright. One of the gifts is a book Underwater Dogs. It's a great looking book. The tree is no laden with presents and it doesn't take long. Everyone plays with their gifts for a time and I head for the kitchen to lay the snacks on the table. Christmas Day fare is light, mostly all day snacks with salad and cold meat for lunch. I'm baking a ham this morning for something different. Lunch is laid out - the cooled ham, duck and chicken cooked yesterday and a light garden salad. Dessert takes the form of condensed milk tart, caramel tart with cream, an ice cream cake with vanilla ice cream, berry sorbet and crushed pavlova nests, and Lion's Christmas cake with brandy custard. I'm disappointed with the duck and chicken. They were beautiful and moist yesterday and dry and tough today despite being covered overnight in the fridge.

Would you believe that dessert was hardly eaten, and there was plenty of it left over!

Tradition seems to dictate that if Bestie isn't heading north to join family for Christmas we spend Boxing Day together. She offers baked ham, turkey, Boston beans, pumpkin pie and who am I to argue, right?

We're on our way to her place when Elder sends me a text. They've cancelled her shift for the day. Massive upset as the pay for working was going to be a good one. Things aren't helped when she discovers that she hasn't been allocated any shifts for January.

Time to tidy up as the Teen and ... and ... by golly it's been so long since I mentioned him in a post I can't remember what name I gave him! At any rate, the Teen and her lad are arriving this week. Elder has instructions to make sure the guest room is devoid of belongings and the bathroom is clean.

It's good to see the Teen again. This is the first time I have seen Harry *yay! i remembered!* for a while. I don't know if I can still call him that as he no longer looks like Harry.

The noise level in my house has just doubled, and none of it comes from Harry. *happy face*

Burrich celebrates a birthday this week. Plenty of friends are invited but not many turn up. The Elder and the Teen have offered floor space for sleepovers, which I guess is sensible, but they failed to check with me. I don't have enough beds or bedding. I don't see in the New Year and when I wake up, someone is sleeping on my couch. I'm quiet but I manage to wake her just before 6am. Disappointed about that as I wanted the clock to wake her. *i have a clock in the rumpus rooms that makes a terrific racket. goes off at 6am* She soon wanders off to sleep in a vacated spot in the spare room.

The Teen has brought with her a bottle of chambord. We were supposed to use this to cook duck confit, but I haven't been able to get duck. I think portions would be much better than the whole bird. She leaves it with me when she goes. Think I'll try some on ice cream.

The visitors have all gone and it's desperately quiet! Missing them already. But then again, it does give me time to play with the Wii. My Christmas present from Elder and Burrich.

Happy 2013 everyone!

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

So I finally remembered to read your blog. Time seems to fly so quickly now.

It would have been lovely to have the family around. Your Christmas fare sounds nicer than mine. But hey, there is always next year. Maybe someone will even visit me. I'd LOVE to go to Qld again for Christmas, but, you know, I just don't do heat anymore...

JoeinVegas said...

Yup, chambord goes very well on ice cream. Sounds like a nice time with the house full.