Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hercule, I've become addicted to you!

Hercule Poroit, you keep me entertained. Or should I say, David Suchet. I've not enjoyed any of the other actors in that role.

The kids are still out of the house. I think the cats are missing them, roaming around meowing, and getting very very snuggly.

MOTH and the Club continue to debate the move. Wombat pushes for them to move back and alas, they relent. It doesn't help that John has been finding it difficult to walkthe extra distance and Wendys is close to the chemist, the disability parking and the supermarket where John prefers to shop. The Club returns to Wendys.

MOTH, John, Stan and Special K are still competing to lose weight. I think Special K might be a tad more serious than MOTH. Or perhaps not. MOTH went to the doctor today and while there discussed options for a referral to a dietician. I wonder if this means that I will have to join him? The prospect does not appeal. I simply cannot live without chocolate!

I often have an appointment at the doctor the same time as MOTH. It saves time that way. I have a call up for my regular tests but I need the referral form. Bit of a nuisance getting an appointment just to pick up a form. Although I confess I was slack and didn't investigate just collecting the form from reception...

Friday morning I decide to donate to the vampires and have the blood tests done. It's a fasting test and I nearly blow it. I'm feeling distracted and I pop an almond in my mouth. I even forgot to drink my usual glass of water before the test! I guess that should have clued me in as to how the morning might go.

It's been 12 months since my last tests and I have heard rumours that the nearest collection clinic had closed. Never mind, there is a second nearby. I have been there once before. I arrive and there are two other people waiting. I must be right then, the other has closed. Last time I was here, I was the only patient. It opens at 8:30am. We settle in to wait. More people turn up. We wait. Some leave. More turn up. 9:00am arrives but the nurse has not. One elderly gentleman has been waiting since 7:30am. We discuss what could be going on. Eventually I twig that the referral form has phone numbers on it. I phoned the other clinic. It's open! And the one we were waiting at is closed each Friday. Even though the sign on the front door indicates otherwise!

It's after 10:00am when I finally get to work.

It's Australia Day weekend. The holiday falls on Saturday so we have Monday off. I like this. A lot. We are having roast lamb to celebrate. According to Sam, you can't get much more Australian than that, right? *for my overseas readers, it's a promo to sell lamb that's been continuing in some form or another for several years now.* We have no other celebration planned.

Just as well. There is a tropical cyclone up north that has weakened into a rain depression but still contains a lot of kick. It has ripped through the morth of the state with driving heavy rain and wind gusts to 90km an hour. It leaves behind widespread destruction and flooding. It's headed our way this weekend.

The rain starts slowly Friday night and sets in properly Saturday. The wind gusts are strong and there is rain but nothing close to the level up north.

The wind picks up Saturday night and Sunday. We've closed the house and here we remain, snug as little bugs in rugs. We hear the occasional gust, see the trees bending in the wind, and see the rain. We can't hear much.

There are warnings not to drive through flood waters and to stay home if there is no absolute need to go out. And still there are those who drive and lose their lives unnecessarily. One of them is a three year old boy.

Luckily we don't lose power and I have Fable 3 and an Xbox so there is no need to go out.

Things have calmed considerably on Monday amd we drive up the road to the shops. The juice bar is closed so we head to Maccas for coffee. There is a tree down across the road but a very helpful neighbour has gone out in the rain and cleared it up. With his chainsaw. Drat! That means I can't plead for an extra day off work while they clear it away!

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Glad you were among the lucky ones who weren't too badly inconvenienced by the floods.

What a shame the club caved into Wombat. Weaklings. And don't worry if MOTH goes on a diet. You can eat the same foods, just keep the chocolate at work. Best of both worlds ya know...

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Hey Sol thanks for stopping by in Perth for a mo! Sounds like you guys over there are having a dreadful time weather wise, hope the rain lets up and things get back to normal (?) whatever that is haha! and here in Perth it just continues to be HOT!! Catch you..

JoeinVegas said...

No sign on the clinic door with days and hours?
I blame the parents, they should not let the three year old drive, much less in such stormy weather.