Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Can't shake this feeling....

That something is going to go terribly, horribly wrong. If it hasn't already.

One of my boys battles with depression. When he crashes, his usual method of coping is to withdraw unexpectedly. Often for several days. No messenger, no social networking, minimal phone.

Last night, he sent a dark, dark message then dropped off the radar. Completely. His phone goes unanswered.

Monday, he was down. Monday night, I began to compose a small missive to let him know that he matters. A lot. Normally I would have dismissed it as a flight of fancy and not acted. Yesterday morning, I felt ... almost compelled, if that's accurate ... to actually write it and email it to him. And the wording came so easily.

Has he read it? I don't know. Why did I feel the need to send it? I can't answer that either. Did I write him something he can keep? Or did I just write his eulogy?

Am I worrying about nothing?

But, please God, let it not be too late...

UPDATE: Still crashed, but still here. I can breathe a little now.

2 comments:

Paula Lynn Johnson said...

Depression has affected family, friends, neighbors, so many people I know. My thoughts are with you and your son.

Colleen Barnett said...

as i said, Lifeline. They will put him in touch with the right people and all confidentially...keeping my fingers crossed for him.
xxx