Thursday, March 20, 2008

Excitement plus. Or Friday Funnies.

Even if it is Thursday......

What are we doing for lunch today? Oh, let's play it safe and do the usual. There is enough time - I have a meeting at 2pm and we snagged the 12 noon lunch shift.

After stopping to catch student germs and raiding the Fakery - that's bakery to the uninitiated - we headed off to the lake.

We're nothing if not predictable. We do this most days.

We headed off to the usual spot. It's getting to the point where the birds recognise the Elder. They gather. With much noise, fanfare and general all round ceremony. Geese, ducks, minah birds, crows, water hens, ibis.

Even the turtles in the lake and the water dragons can sense something is going down. And they gather as well. I prefer to watch the turtles and the dragons than the birds.

Today they gathered and paid homage to the foodage of the Elder. And suddenly, some bloke walking past pulls out the camera phone and starts taking pics. Or videoing. Who can tell these days. I turned my back. Let that be a lesson to him.

I thought I might do something different and share my food. I like my food. I don't share. Now, I know why. I wandered closer to the edge of the lake. And threw the odd crumb to the turtles. They can't do much and when the ducks keep getting there first, I thought I just might be wasting my time.

How about the dragon then? I tossed a crumb or two. Sometimes the dragon got it. Sometimes the birds. So I leaned a little closer to get the crumb closer to him.

Bloody close all right. The bugger decided to jump. And he latched on to my thumb. I know I'm tasty, but hey, I like ALL my digits, thank you very much! Going to have to send out a hunting party now. He's tasted human blood. Oh, wait ... I'm not human ..... ok, right. He's safe.

That was about the time we needed to be heading back to the office. No, I wasn't running away.

On the way back, we found a wild Geek. The one who lives in the lair of the Elder's workplace. He's a really, really sweet and gentle Geek. She threw wood chips. And laughed.

Then we stopped to hassle some baby ducklings and their parents. They are beautiful. Fluffy and striped.

Then back to the office, while I regaled the Elder with tales of the Teen getting pecked yesterday by a water hen chick.

Must be the Elder's turn soon. No. She got nommed by a duck. Pffft. THAT doesn't count. It's not sharp......

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

I wonder if that guy caught you getting bitten on his phone? You may turn up on Home Video Show. Wouldn't that be funny, you could sue him!

Serves you right for feeding the wildlife. Didn't you learn anything at that job of yours? Anyway, ducks etc shouldn't eat bread. It's bad for them. So the lizard was doing you a favour!

Either that or he could spot a fellow dragon a mile away....


(LOL)