Friday, August 14, 2009

Part ... Duex

We had arrived a little earlier than anticipated. After much consideration on my part, midday sounded like a good plan. Here it was, 10.30am and we were ready to check in.

We took a drive down the main street to see what had changed. Or more likely, what hadn't. Mellors was still there! *a clothing store that had been there since Adam was a boy* Ooo look. A bronze statue I don't recall from last time proundly pronounced the Gayndah Jockey Club. It was, ironically enough, a jockey on a horse. I thought to myself that I would have to come back and photograph that. And hey! That's a gorgeous stained glass looking design in front of one of the buildings. I think it was promoting Gayndah. I would have to come back and photo that too. I wasn't driving, so we didn't actually stop to look at anything. What happened to that old tradition of parking and walking down the street, I ask you!

Needless to say, we didn't get back to take photos!

We checked in at the motel, and they were happy to have us. Even if we were early. And the rooms were a very pleasant surprise. I was expecting someting very old and shabby. But although they were very basic, they were quite well appointed. And you know, even the pool looked tempting!


The only other person to have checked in at that point had the room at the end of our block. The woman on reception asked if we were related. I had no clue - the name wasn't familiar. I found out afterward that she was Renae, Darryl's daughter.

After we had loaded our gear into the room an eaten our complimentary mandarines, hammed it up for the camera and taken stock of our surroundings, I decided to look at the local attraction The Big Orange. Right next door to the motel.



There is the orange itself, attached to a small tea and souvenir shop. You can walk inside the orange and look at some of the history painted on the walls. Of course you are welome to sign the guest book. I didn't, but as I glanced, I noticed it had been signed by Sophie, from France. She had been fruit picking and seemed to have enjoyed herself.


In truth, there wasn't much to see. I wandered back to the motel. Ma and Pop eventually arrived along with Uncle C and his better half, and Uncle G and his other half as well.

The time to head off arrived and I had had to text a sibling to find out the address of the church! *shakes head* The day has turned out to be warm and somewhat sticky. Not cold at all. I signed us in while they searched for seating. Where had they seated themselves? I couldn't see them in the crowds. Eventually I found them. Right at the back and tucked into a corner. We sat there for a short time. I suggested we move to the Reserved for Family area. There were so many people, they had to open the annex to allow access to the rest of the seating. We moved.

I wasn't game enough to go to the casket. And no one else had either. Not even anyone else from the family. It was golden oak with silver handles. A huge arrangment of flowers, purple, yellow, and some Australian natives sat in the centre, with Dud's favourite hat and his stockwhip. A slideshow of photographs played in the background along with Slim Dusty. A photograph of Dud stood next to his hat.

I thought I would be okay. Then Walt led Jeff to the seat in front of me and I knew I wouldn't make it. Luckily I had waterproof mascara! Jeff broke down sobbing and Walt led him outside. I was alright after that.

The service was led by Pastor David Jack.

Billy - Dud's son - spoke of Dud growing up; Richard - Judy's son - spoke of Dud joining them. Billy hesitated on a couple of words; Richard became shaky. He made reference to the church youth groups Dud had led, and read a note from one of the backpackers Dud had befriended. Her name was Sophie. She was French.

A guest Pastor who knew Dud and Ruby very well also spoke and read a poem that Ruby had written many years ago about Dud and his friends growing up. They were typical larrikins!

After the service, the Pastor asked on behalf of the family that we move quickly to the cemetary and that greetings be saved for the hall where light refreshment would be served. We trickled out following the casket and indeed the service did move quickly up the hill to the graveside. Pastor David committed the casket to the ground while people filed past. And it was over. He disappeared shortly after that and gradually people moved off to the Gayndah Bowls club where refreshement was to be served.

So many people! It was a veritable crush; standing room only. We drifted a little, somewhat at a loss. I don't know most of these people! Even the relatives. I couldn't identify most of them.

I discovered later that I had missed most of the photo oppotunities because most of the family had moved out the back to the bowling green and were talking out there. One of the big disadvantages in not constantly keeping in touch is that you feel like an outsider when everyone meets. All the others know who everyone else is.

Christine came to fetch me. *nearly called her christine m till i realised there were 2 christine ms!* Apparently they were doing a cousins photo. I'm thinking that if she hadn't fetched me for this, I wouldn't really have been missed.

It took a long time to find individual family members I knew and chat quickly to them!

But because I had been called to the cousins photo, I actually managed to be in the right place for a family photo!

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

so you didn't manage to palm your camera off on anyone for the cousin photo then?

slacker

*altoini*... a new pasta perhaps?

Anonymous said...

sorry to here about your uncle. toni

Colleen Barnett said...

You're a little treasure, changing the background so I don't get headaches reading it! I love you! xxxx

*knablect*... something you say to some twit who says they love you! xxx