Monday, August 03, 2009

Remine ... remenes ..... remembering old things....

This morning I was excited and happy. My spirits soared at the thought of a new adventure. The bus missed it's turn off and as we headed up the busway and it missed another possible point for turn around I thought w00t! A cross country trip.

But it turned out that the new busway is open...

I must have missed the fanfare somewhere. Ok, so I don't follow the news much, but I thought there would have been SOME announcement. The new trip did take us a little way cross country into almost virgin territory. Well, some bus would have been there before us, but hey, it was new to me. And maybe even, if I hadn't had my nose stuck in my Harry Potter novel, I might have even looked up and seen a bus on the new way as I had passed beneath it earlier.

But I digest. I'm supposed to be providing an entertaining wrap up of the week just gone. Or something.

This was the week of the test for the Teen. We fronted up to the surgery on Wednesday for the test; the Teen has been suffering from a chest infection which is lingering. I had to postpone the orginal test as the medication would have played with the results of the test. So, off to the surgery and boy. What a mood. I put it down to the fact she was nervous. After a short while, our turn came and she was called up for a weigh in and height check. She was so very less than impressed with the weigh in. She informed me it was close to Wogboy's. *shrugs* I'm sure the weight she was expecting is like, child level, and she IS no longer a child.

So the Holter device was attached, and they ran a test to have something to measure it against. Typical, the reading came back in the range of normal. For those not in the know, a Holter test is a mobile ECG. You have the dots/leads attached and you wear a small over the shoulder harness which holds the monitor. She had to wear it for 24 hours. MOTH had one many years ago, just after his heart attack. Mind the size of the monitor has changed. A LOT! Oh, they also gave her a small form where she was to note anything strange, an event, so they could check it afterward.

Wednesday afternoon, she mentioned she had lost the diary. D'oh!

Thursday we headed back to have it removed. No worries. The young chap who removed it asked if there had been any events. She said there was, but we'll wait and see about results.

$200 later and all is finished and detached. Except adhesive residue and complaints about itching. And then I found the diary.

Friday night Wogboy was going to be staying. When I arrived home, MOTH informed me that Teen had gone out, but he didn't know if she would be back. *shakes head* Sometimes I wonder that he can find his own way down the hall. I went to find out what was going on, and there was a text message to tell me that she would be gone for the weekend.

Which suited me fine. I actually had somewhere to be on Saturday.

Saturday we had been invited to a work bbq, held for a colleague who has been in the office on a short term contract. He's been there just over two weeks now, and will be returning to the Netherlands at the end of next week. It's been a very fast 4 weeks! We rocked up at lunch time; as usual, the first ones to arrive. Except the bloke who bought the protein. And we even arrived after the start time.

There was a pretty decent turn out, and most of them were people I have a lot of fun with. MOTH likes them too - he tells me they always make him feel welcome. There was plenty of food. And for something to do, I even took a photo of the desserts. Perhaps I will upload it. It's on the home computer though.

Sunday I didn't do much. MOTH went out for the usual bread and paper stuff. I stayed home. I did the washing and got it all pegged out. I looked at the floor and decided it needed some work. But couldn't quite bring myself to plug in the vacuum cleaner.

This morning while suspended in that twilight just between sleeping and waking, I came to the conclusion that I know why everyone is having so much trouble with chest complaints this year. Even I'm coughing a lot. And I don't think it necessarily has much to do with the fact it's a rough flu season. While I was attempting to tidy a little, I actually used the dustpan and brush. I had to clean up the 'potato dirt' that had accumulated on the floor in front of the pantry where the potatoes live. And as I swept it into the pan, the angle of the sun showed me how much DUST was actually circulating with each sweep of the brush! An amazing amount. COPIOUS amounts. And each sweep set it swirling into the air. I have noticed the house is terrible to keep clean. One morning, I swept the same area three times and still kept finding bits that seemed to have missed the broom, and by the time I finished, it didn't look like I had done anything at all.

So this morning, I swiped the pledge duster around the floor. Perhaps I need to consider getting one of those things that pick up the dust instead of pushing it about. *sigh* I hate housework.

And on the way up to the office this morning, I watched a girl walking along the path in front of me. The way her converse lowtops scuffed across the ground as she walked. And it brought back memories of the way we scuffed through the schoolgrounds in our gymboots and sandshoes. And playing 'lastics in our lunchhours for weeks on end...

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

ooh, I used to be a lastic champion in my little crowd! would probably break a let now though...

better swing off that vacuum when you get home dear. that is probably a huge cause of respiration issues. won't be helping MOTH's asthma either.

Get crackin girl!

*rhesseni* ... some type of pasta perhaps?

Colleen Barnett said...

heh, this next one is better... *heesse* sounds like a respiratory infection side effect doesn't it?