Monday, March 15, 2010

Roads don't lead to Rome!

I'm sitting in the car, and I mention to MOTH that it had been an interesting week on the buses. I hear a moan from the back seat. Oh god, she's blogging but only she's speaking....

One of the most stressful periods of my brief life so far is gradually drawing to a close. A very gradual close. I'm so proud of her for stepping so far out of her comfort zone. The Teen has moved out now. And I'm not sure how I feel.

When the Elder moved out the first time, it was a gradual process. A weekend here, a slightly longer time there until we reached the point where she had moved in with her then boy and was not at home. At least she was in the same city.

The Teen has moved out. It's happened all at once. She's not even in the same city. She's 8 hours drive away. She is sharing house with older people she doesn't know very well. Last night was her first night in her new room. She sent me a text. She'd been home for two hours, was in her room the entire time, and was too scared to go outside for a cigarette just in case one of the 'strangers' was in the lounge room. I smiled. It's something she will have to get used to. She hopes she will and quickly!

Friday was Departure Day. MOTH managed to get Teen's Entire Life stashed in the car. They were very pleased with themselves. Then she heard him going crook. What's the matter? I've forgotten mine and your mother's stuff!! Fortunately, it was only a weekend trip and we travel light.

It didn't rain this time, but previous rains have left the highway in an awful condition. Ruts, ridges, and pot holes. Some of them quite deep.

The place we stayed was very nice. I will post a couple of photos separately when I get them uploaded to the computer. Probably tonight. I hadn't heard of it before and while I was searching for accommodation, Sibling1 started her own search. She pointed them out and I was suitably impressed.

We gave the Teen her own key. The hotel doesn't run a 24 hour reception, and she was told she would be able to use the key to let herself back in when she returned from an outing with her boy. It's gone 11pm. I'm asleep. The phone rings. I tried to answer; it didn't work. *hey, it's new. i haven't figured out how to answer it yet* I dropped it and had to dig it out from under the bedside table. Mu-um! The card won't let me in! Can you come save me? *sigh* I have to get dressed. I'm not wandering the hotel in my jammies! I run down in the left to the front door. No one there. I go out to the street and call. The night is dark, a cold wind blows and no one is there. I go to the driveway and look down. No one there. Where the heck is she? Dang. I've forgotten my phone. Back to my room. I get yelled at by the lift. MOTH is still abed. Why didn't you remind me to take the phone?? She's in, he mumbles sleepily. What? That didn't make sense. She's gotten in. I told her wait there for you. She wasn't there. I poke my head through the connecting door to see if she's in her room. An innocent blonde meets my glare. She'd called him FROM THE APARTMENT, not just the front door. *sigh*

We went to Dicey's for dinner on Saturday night, taking the opportunity to meet Teen's boy's parents. Turns out I knew his mother! Consy *the boyfriend* took her to a party after dinner.

I didn't get much sleep that night either. The Teen had a panic attack and it took several hours to get her calmed enough to settle to sleep.

Sunday was a rush to get ourselves coordinated. The plan was to get checked out, Teen dropped off at Consy's place and ourselves back to meet Elder at Hagrid's Hut. *that's where SHE lives* It's on the same house block as Teen's new address. Then off to meet with my folks before heading off to meet Elders Outlaw folks. I decided that Teen's room needed more work. I shifted boxes, swept and mopped and made the bed up. It looked MUCH MUCH better.

Just made it out to my folks place in time to meet and great with Sibling2 before she had to leave. Spent a small amount of time with my folks. *didn't get a photo Froggy, but pink and white for 1, and shades of blue for the other* Then headed out to the Outlaws property to say a quick hello and meet the animals. The four legged variety, not the family. *grins*

We made it back, tired and looking forward to finally pulling up in the garage. Wait! What's this? Bloody motorway upgrades seem to have removed the access point for our suburb! That's right, here IS NO LONGER ANY EXIT MARKED FOR OUR 'BURB! We might have been able to use one, but our suburb is not listed on it and it's a couple of suburbs too early. We had to go past and hope for the suburb after ours. Guess what! THERE WAS NO EXIT FOR THAT ONE EITHER! We had to travel some distance out, then set up the GPS to get us back home.

All roads certainly do NOT lead to Rome! *humpf*

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

see, sibling 1 can come in handy sometimes, can't I? lol.

Sound like you had an interesting trip anyway. Teen gets shy, doesn't she? I almost posted on her FB page "toughen up, princess, you wanted to be a grown up and move out so now you have to make the best of it" but as I am not a mean old aunt, I didn't! :-)

Pink and white, and shades of blue. Right. Thanks for that! I'll get her started soon!

*baporast*. sounds like a foreign expletive

Butterfly Kissez said...

Awww I think empty nests can be quite sad but having said that I can't wait for the last one to move out...our place looks like a used car yard right now with Mr 20 building one car, bought himself another and I also have dad's car now as well...*sigh*

*wardoc* well I guess soldiers do need repairing...

Butterfly Kissez said...

Ok I just read back through all the posts I missed t his year and noticed you have trialled WoW! Hubby and I have been playing for about 4 years...MM a bit more hard core and me just casually as I have too many other things to do so just try and play when I can...have made loads of friends out of it and we chat to lots of overseas ppl via vent which is a program you can use to actually speak to each other via the microphone...let me know how you like the game...I haven't really played since christmas...I got bored with it...