Wednesday, March 31, 2010

C'mon bussey bussey

Odd day yesterday was.

A preschooler and his father got on the bus. One of these new age dads who get very involved in their children. They talk to each other and dad treats him like an intelligent almost adult. No baby talk or topics here! *and won't they have FUN with THAT when he reaches puberty!*

So, on the bus, race down to the back seat *where i am* and kid says to dad You're my best buddy! You're my PADAWAN! And from there they launch into swapping Star Wars stories, complete with Padawans, Jedi, and storm troopers, and TIE fighters, and blasters......

*repeat scenario this morning, only this time it's Star Wars from a book*

Why can't parents encourage their kids to diversify? Nothing worse than an obsessive!

The day dragged slowly, so slowly by.

And the afternoon rolls around. This time the bus driver greets everyone in the queue with a hearty HELLLOOO EVERYONE! WELCOME TO THE HAPPY BUS.

Off we go with Captain Happy and all is fine. A few minutes down the road he booms out HELLO EVERYONE. *no lower case for this bloke* THIS IS THE HAPPY BUS. IF YOU ARE ON HERE YOU HAVE TO BE HAPPY. SMILE IT'S ALL GOOD. BECAUSE YOU LOOK GREAT WHEN YOU SMILE. IF YOU HAVE HAD A BAD DAY AT UNI OR AT WORK, REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE LEFT IT BEHIND AT THE BUS STOP BEFORE YOU GOT ON THE BUS! AND EVERYONE HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE EASTER *cue cheer from passengers* THAT'S RIGHT BECAUSE YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL WHEN YOU SMILE.

We're silent for a while as we think about this. Then cue driver again, repeating that it's a happy bus and we should all smile and life is good etc.

By the third time and halfway to destination it was wearing a bit thin....

Then, a passenger of indeterminate origin leaned across and asked a question. Next thing I know, I can hear him telling her all about Jesus, the cross and Easter Sunday.

I managed to get my usual bus home. Although it was late. As usual. And for some reason, none of the drivers are ever the same, so you can't even blame it on the driver. Take off is jerky, braking is jerky. Next thing, he pulls into a stop that isn't on our run *we travel express* and switches everything off. He calls back to the passengers an explanation, but hey. I'm plugged into my iPod and I've got no idea.

Sit there for a few minutes in the dark. Then we're away! No more stops, but back to jerky every time we slow down. I'm chanting to myself C'mon bussey, you can do it, there's a good bussey.... The last thing we need is to break down on the motorway....

I get home and dinner is nearly prepared for me. MOTH is on the phone, tending the sausages at the same time. He's wincing occasionally; obviously his back is giving him a lot of trouble. He eventually tells me. He took a tumble while mowing the front footpath and landed heavily on the road *would have loved to see THAT* Today he's very sore and sorry for himself, but he'll manage. I won't be an excuse for a day off work he tells me ... grinning like a loon ....

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Oh Lordy! All aboard the Happy Bus. What a nong. Still, make it exciting for a bit, hey. And it's good to see someone take pride in their job.

I guess the other bus was experiencing technical difficulties...

Poor MOTH. That bloke should seriously get a lap band. And yes, wouldn't it be funny to see. Next time get some spy cameras installed around the place! lol!

*impercen* MOTH was impercenatin a seal for a bit! lol!

Butterfly Kissez said...

Lol I had to have a chuckle about your Mr Happy bus driver...he must be related to one of our train drivers who must have been an airline pilot in a previous life. We get "Good morning passengers...this is your train driver speaking...please return all trays to the upright position. It is now such and such a time on such and such a day...please have a great day"...and so it goes on lol...Always makes me smile...

*inable* I am inable to be sad today