Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Motherhood: Or the joy of virtual children

Well, the Teen was wiped this morning. Absolutely bombed. Motherhood. Aint it a blast.

She has chosen, for one of her electives at school a subject that is somewhat similar to the Home Economics and Mothercare subjects I had when at school. You know the type of thing. Except although this one deals with nutrition and diet, I don't think she actually cooks anything. That, my friends, is the province of Hospitality....

So, at any rate, as part of their assessment, they bring home a baby for the night. Not a real one. A virtual one. Just as well. I'm past that baby stage stuff, and if it were real, I'd hate to think of the consequences! But, this is designed to get the kids to think carefully about being a parent. Before they are really ready. This baby looks like a doll. One of those Baby Born things. They have to bring it home in a car. In a baby capsule. There is a boy. There is a girl. But, baby doesn't wet, and you don't have to feed it. You have to be careful to give the head appropriate support. But it does CRY. Randomly. Any time. Day or night. Ack! MOTH was not impressed at the thought.

But, cry it did. It was crying when I got home from work. I don't know when it started, but it kept going, despite Teen's best efforts for about 15 minutes. She has a key 'chained' to her wrist she must use when it cries. Insert key, turn key. Crying stops. Or not. The computer inside records crying and response times etc.

So, she tells me this morning that she has failed this assessment. Apparently kids who aren't allowed to have the baby have another form of assessment. She wants to do this one. She has failed. Failed! Baby - she named it Helena - cried for half hour at 1.30am ...... She removed the batteries.

If only it really were that easy........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gather she failed because she removed the batteries. Yes, if only it were that easy. My preteen cried for half an hour, every hour and a half. Could find neither her batteries or her on/off switch...not for lack of trying...now she's ten and even more vocal...ahh the joys of deafness....

SOL's view said...

Methinks she assumed she failed 'cause she removed the batteries. I dunno - I haven't been told anything formally. Or informally. You know, the parent is always the last to find out.